Develop Aftercare and Policy Advocacy
Aftercare programs retain investors and foster re-investment. They are a proven method of generating new investment in a cost-effective manner. Up to 70% of inward investment can come from existing investors: According to the Handbook for Promoting Foreign Direct Investment, “a satisfied investor is the most effective promotional tool possible.”
Strategies for providing aftercare:
- Develop a system of services to existing investors.
- Keep in regular contact with existing investors.
- Coordinate with the national and regional IPIs.
- Encourage establishment of an investors’ association to serve as a channel for investor input to decision makers at the city level.
- Develop a sustained policy advocacy function to the regional and national levels through appropriate channels.
For more on aftercare, see:
- Guidance Paper on Evaluating Sustainable FDI
- Handbook for Promoting Foreign Direct Investment in Medium-Size, Low-Budget Cities in Emerging Markets
- World Bank Investment Generation Toolkit